
Unknown - Will update when I have the proper information
So this dream with still images is still fresh in my mind. I can only really remember two pieces vividly, the rest I only remember the aesthetic. Of these pieces, I've just spent the last bit trying to replicate one of them, without the proper tools and without the proper medium. Nonetheless, in replicating the aesthetic of my dreams, I got somewhat close to what I wanted to accomplish. I used acrylic ink instead of brown charcoal and a small piece of thicker black paper instead of a huge piece of beige primed cardboard. When it was finished, its not quite the same, but because I know what it was, looking at it in this smaller format makes me remember what it is that I need to one day make.
I've gotten inspiration from my dreams before, generally to write, to try and translate the surreality of whatever. Its a time old writing exercise to get you to write something from experience that isn't a banal description or fictitious. But I've never actually had a dream anything like my dream of still images. I've always had wild dreams, things that I can't quite put into words, but this dream was so simple, so matter of fact, that I don't even know if I should be interpreting it as I normally would when I get a dream thats out of the norm.
Once I drew what it was that I saw, I realized instantly that it was the style of my dreams. I know, that sounds stupid, but you realize that I've always had an issue with my drawing style. I always think its too controlled, too sharp... too something, something I couldn't quite explain, but didn't really like. When I started making it, and realized that my regular way of making lines would never ever come close to replicating what it was that I wanted to do. The look wouldn't work, so i flipped my fountain pen around and drew with the back of it. The bleeding ink, losing total control of my line, was what I needed to break the habit of how i draw, and let me draw what it was that I saw last night.
Today is a weird juncture friends. I feel winter coming, and don't know whether I should dive into introspection as I always do in the winter. Cabin fever. I always come out shining in the spring, new lessons etc, but I have no distractions from cabin fever this year if I do choose to pursue it. I don't have deadlines, too much work, etc... to keep me from losing myself in it. Maybe its a good thing that I don't have something to catch me if I decide to take the dive. Maybe thats the reason I've always been part of the "jack of all trades, master of none" mythology that I hate so much, I do it all without fully diving.
---------------
Mp3s:
Rotary Connection - Memory-Mand
Fridge - cut up piano and xylophone
Do Make Say Think - chinatown
Buffy Sainte-Marie- Codeine
Gram Parsons - Codeine
Blonde Redhead - Elephant Woman
Chet Baker - My Funny Valentine

1 comment:
I'm starting to think of the best albums of the 2000s... and my candidate for no. 1 is fridge's happiness, released in 2001. And the track you chose is the best track on that album. Pure genius, the kind that transcends the intentions of its creators
Post a Comment