Thursday, November 22, 2007

Can has

Ok So, I've been writing a lot lately, and I'm sure some of you are bored of me rambling on and on or whatever about whatever. So today is just a gift, a series of playlists for you to listen to, a short animated film, and an audio book of a favorite Borges fable.

Kanojo to kanojo no neko - by - Makoto Shinkai - 1999

I really love this movie. Its short, simple, sweet, but very strong at the same time. Oh, and reminds me of many people back in Toronto

------------------
Who's a punk? Lets Dance! Mp3 playlist:
The Slits - In the Beginning There was Rhythm
Gang of Four - At Home He's a Tourist
The Au Pairs - Love Song
The Slits - Typical Girls
The Au Pairs - We're So Cool
A Certain Ratio - Shack Up
Public Image Limited - Careening
Cabaret Voltaire - Sensoria
Delta 5 - Mind Your Own Business

---
Post-Dance Dream:
Antena - Camino Del Sol
Four Tet - She Moves She
Swod - Tucholskystr34
Polmo Popo - Rottura
Aphex Twin - Avril 14th
Max Richter - Written On Sky
Boards of Canada - Macquarie Ridge
Harold Budd - As Long as I can Hold My Breath

---
Live Green Grass of Tunnels:
Mùm Green Grass of Tunnel (live - Barcelona Acció Musical - 21 September 2002)
Mum - Green Grass of Tunnel(Live at Great American Music Hall)
Mum - Green Grass of Tunnel (Live - don't know from where, but courtesy of Ash)

---
Akira Rabelais is a writer and composer from Los Angeles. He works with noise and ambient soundscapes (well from what I've heard). He collaborated with Harold Budd on the song that I linked above.

Well, maybe 5 years ago I was on his website. I loved hypertext mazes, I'm a gleaner, and its a gleaner's wet dream of a website. Sometimes a bit text heavy, it can strain the eyes if you stay on it too long. Akirarabelais.com is the website.
Well, somewhere when wandering through his hypertext experiment, I found an mp3 link to a man reading a short story. I listened to it totally engrossed at 4 in the morning. Its still stuck in my head, thinking of hypertext mazes, the future of the reader, reader as gleaner, etc, etc, etc, etc, and finding this audio file and listening to it through. The name of the story was "The Library of Babel."

Only years later when I was reading through the collection of Borges' short stories did I realize it was a Borges fable.

I feel like I should let you all wander through Akira Rabelais' website till you find the mp3 file. Don't go with the intention of finding it, it is relatively easy -- go with the intent of getting lost and letting it find you at some stray click on some strange link.

If you're too lazy to go and search it out -- [here-mp3]


-------------------
p.s.
Umm, I wish I was blind and sporty

No comments: