Saturday, November 17, 2007

Textures - Paintings by Gerhard Richter


Gerhard Richter
S. Mit Kind, 1995, 52x62 cm

Textiles, patterns, old print, the way the ink bleeds on old paper, fonts, paper textures, weaves, wallpapers... I could spend an eternity looking at them, touching them, thinking about them. Maybe I'm perpetually like Huxley on mescaline in The Doors of Perception, helplessly attracted to the weaving of clothes and the shadow play in the fabrics. Egon Schiele's watercolours and chalk on cardboard, his characters, and his use of paint are all almost like textures to me. His whole work shouts out and its no wonder his works are among my favorite and most personal. I find Gerhard Richter's paintings are the epitome of this sensation.


Gerhard Richter - 1 part of a triptych
Gegenuberstellung, 1988, 112X102 cm

Gerhard Richter
(couldn't find name, if you know the name, write it in the comments and I'll update it it)

Gerdhard Richter, Frau mit Kind

Paris is fantastic for textures. I find myself running my fingers along walls, taking a moment to feel the cold touch of a railing as I walk down stairs, the steel underneath a poor coat of chipping paint. The smooth marble of old architecture, always eleven degrees cooler than the air. Listening to the white noise of too many  french speakers speaking at once on a metro, too many to isolate just one conversation.

Music is the same way sometimes. As much as I love rock, or I like punk, or I like lyrics. I've always liked the fabric of the music, the texture, most. Ian Curtis' slow syncopated vocals over droning guitars with too much reverb. Dubstep's rolling and chunky bass-lines separated by the occasional snare. Dub and its counter culture of Jamaica seen through the lens of echo chambers full of delay and reverb. Satie's impressionistic pianos. Debussy's interpretations of how churches vibrated sound. Burial's post-deluvian two step. All of this music is something where the aesthetic, its texture, is the foreground of the piece for me.

-------------------------
Squarepusher - Iambic 5 Poetry
Squarepusher - Iambic 9 Poetry
World's End Girlfriend - 100 Years Of Choke
Arve Henriksen - Glacier Descent
Debussy - Claire De Lune
Debussy - Nuages
Max Richter - On the Nature of Daylight
There was a specific swod song that I was looking for, it sounds as if you were watching an old dirty black and white 8mm of a music box turning, its from the album Gehen, if someone has this song, can you send it to me?
Swod - Deer
Swod - Paintage
Swod - Montauk
Deadbeat - Melbourne Round Midnight
Burial - Archangel

No comments: