I just finished watching Rockers and had a huge bit of nostalgia for Toronto, dubstep, Thymeless, and generally the Rockers lifestyle. It happens.
I woke up listening to roots reggae, dub, and dubstep, and realize that whole mentality doesn't exist in france. Maybe thats a huge generalization, but there are certain conditions that need to exist for that music to work, and it just isn't a french one. The spirit of Django Reinhardt and the whole gypsy jazz scene is still here though, you can find it in bars. There's something about listening to gypsy jazz that reminds me of bluegrass at the Silver Dollar, and it suits the french culture.
I don't even know how I'd explain dub and reggae culture to a french person. Its something that doesn't really translate. I don't even want to pretend like I'm a reggae rocker like those in Jamaica, but the lifestyle translates at least into something I can respect and understand.
This is mostly a mp3 update for today, my internet at home is broken, my landlord I guess hasn't paid the bill. Its just a selection of future dub, reggae, and dub. Enjoy, they are all well loved songs. Listen to them with big bass, preferably in an echo chamber...
Expect pictures soon, I haven't taken my camera out for a bit, its a little bulky and I never know when I'm out "sight seeing" and when I'm just walking aimlessly.
-----------------------------------
Rhythm and Sound - Jah Version (Burial Remix)
Boxcutter - Windfall
Pinch - Widescreen
White Mice - School Days (Version)
Parson - Throw Some D's
Nanko - Lucky you
Disrupt - Jah Red Gold and Green
Elemental - Sparkle (Boxcutter Remix)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment