Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Too fast to love, too young to die -- mp3 update.

I'm just getting home from the Maison Europeenne de la Photographie which was spectacular. Its free wednesday nights (so is the Louvre) so I took the opportunity to go check it out. I saw one gallery on the first floor briefly that wasn't that impressive. But the second floor was entirely dedicated to Martine Barrat, who, I am now totally mesmerized by. The works were so perfect its hard to put into words. The energy and emotion in her photography was truly breathtaking. There was no moral slant, no pretensions, nothing, the photos spoke for themselves.

Peaceful Serenity - © Martine Barrat
Harlem, New York, 1985


Sunday Morning - © Martine Barrat
Harlem, New York, 1984


Papo Angel Morales attend dʼentrer sur le ring - © Martine Barrat
Gleason Gym, New York, 1981


Holy Man - © Martine Barrat
Harlem, New York, 1993


These little web images doesn't do her work justice.

This was the only floor I really saw at the gallery. There was a Larry Clark exhibition on the floor above but I was only there a few minutes then the gallery closed. I think its for the best, one artist at a time.
--------------
News: A dear friend of mine Kate is having her first photography show in Toronto starting this weekend.
Time and PlaceDate: Saturday, November 3, 2007
Time: 7:30pm - 10:30pm
Location: Le Bar à Soupe
Street: 164 Ossington ave. (just south of dundas)

--------------
MP3s.
Madeleine Chartrand - Ani Kuni
Modeselektor - Weed Wid Di Makka
1L - Wanna be Startin' Something
-- MP3 Update:
Django Reinhardt - Montmartre
Deceptikon - Unified
Can - Spoon (Sonic Youth Mix)
Digital Mystikz - Thief in Da Night
The Specials - Too Much Too Young (live)
ESG - Dance

No comments: