Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Autumn aka Indian Summer.

Its finally starting to feel like the seasons have shifted, of course I'd made the connection that the season was changing before now, but not until today when I opened my window did everything seem so crisp. I need a coffee, thats it, thats all I know. I might actually do something about it if I wasn't so apathetic. Sometimes its nice to be lazy right? Rediculous, right? Especially in Paris. I always regret not seizing the day, running into the sun, wandering helplessly, whatever it is that I feel I should be doing. If I actually do get up early and find myself somewhere in the world outside my apartment, I always appreciate it and remind myself, "see this is why Paris is beautiful."

I missed work on friday, woke up at 5:30, was out of the house by 5:40, but because of the strike, I ended up waiting at my train station till 7:30. Awake, at 7:15 in the morning I had this realization that, it was 7:15 in the morning, and I was downtown in Paris... I spent the next 2 hours in a catatonic state listening to the new Pinch album somewhere along the seine. I watched the sun rise down the river, it's rays bounce off the water, through bridges, between buildings. Somewhere in my haze of sleep depravity and rolling sub-bass ambient flooding through my sound canceling ear buts, the words "wake up paris, i'm watching" repeated. Like I was expecting the city to blossom, unfold to me in a new way, take a new shape.
I don't know what I was waiting for, and I don't know if it ever came to me, waiting for that moment of sublime.

But, at that moment I was a bit closer to the city. I'd seen it go to bed, but this was the first time that I'd stopped to watch it wake up and not been just another busy body commuting.

---------------------
Nick Drake - a place to be
Que SerĂ¡ SerĂ¡ - Alfred Hitchcock?
Lola Flores - Maria De La O!
Regina Spektor - On the Radio
The Knife - Pass This On
Messer Chups - Vamp Finish
Ron Sexsmith - Secret Heart
Secret Heart
Why so mysterious?
Why so sacred, why so serious?
Maybe you’re just acting tough
Maybe you’re just not man enough
What’s wrong?
Let her in on your secret, heart

~ Ron Sexsmith / Secret Heart ~

No comments: