Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Bonjour Tristesse

I found a beautiful edition of Bonjour Tristesse, I'm not sure if its a first edition, but its old, printed in 54 (which i think is a first ed).
Its beautiful.

I've been looking for it since I got here, digging through used stores with meager hopes of ever finding it. Lo and behold, i find this beautiful copy, old and fragile, the pages hand cut, the first pages not even cut at all.

And its beautiful to read.

François Sagan is beautiful.


So cynical at the age of 18. Her writing so clear, cutting, and sentimental at once. The woman who sold it to mean found a great pleasure in my enthusiasm, she loves the book as well, and it touched her to find someone else who would enjoy it so fully.

----------------------------
Music:
Miles Davis - Feio
Miles Davis and John Coltrane - 'round midnight
Miles Davis and Charlie Parker - Parker's Mood
Pizzicato Five - Ma Vie, L'été de la vie
Battles - Tonto (Four Tet Remix)

1 comment:

magda o said...

ha! you discuss it like you've not read it before, but who lent you a copy they found that you lent to someone else and now they DONT HAVE ONE?! whooo?????

huff huff... i want my copy back.